Saturday, May 15, 2010

saturday views

I spent most of today perched by the back door watching for the parents of the baby dove I saved this morning...I feel terrible, let me explain.

About 5 days ago, Zeus the farm dog, came tromping out of the orchard with a baby bird in his mouth. I was mortified but also understood that baby birds often fall out of their nests and since we have hundreds of trees we are bound to come across one here or there. While I was eating my breakfast I saw something fall off of the roof. Investigation revealed a baby mourning dove on the ground and it just sat there looking scared at me. Zeus was loose, so I ran to get the ladder, scooped the baby up and carefully placed him back into his nest. I did everything very fast and didn't even think about putting gloves on first. My husband told me that my smell was now on the baby dove and his mother would reject him. I remembered being told that as a child. So, my vigil began...

The parents showed up both cooing and paced back and forth on my roof.

Finally, they both flew to the nest and the momma stayed with the baby. She has been cooing all day, something she normally doesn't do. Dad returned now and then, but something doesn't feel right.
*sigh*

I replanted a couple of ficus trees with Baxter's help...

and snapped a few more house finch photo's during my vigil.
(all taken through a window...a dirty one ;)
I count 4 beaks...

momma finch...

momma feeding babies...

proud momma finch and daddy finch...
(they take turns feeding babies about every 30 min)

better view of beautiful daddy finch...

Hey...your nest looks like poop! ;)

Finally, a cactus I've owned for about 7 years bloomed today for the first time!

Gotta end with a flower...today has been rough!

3 comments:

Wanda said...

Oh my Darlene, what an adventure.

I couln't save a baby bird that fell from a nest when we first moved...the sight still haunts me.

Love all your blooming cactus..

sandy said...

HI Darlene, loved your bird photos and that cactus, beautiful! Your property and home look fabulous. YOu must enjoy this new life.

Anonymous said...

No worries. Your husband is wrong about placing the baby into it's nest. Always, ALWAYS when possible place a baby bird back as quickly as you can. Your smell on him/her has nothing to do with the parents accepting them. They will be fine with the baby ... the smell thing is a tale long proven wrong. It's more about time. Promise. Google it.

xo another northern cali rescuer.